Mac OS X
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
HandBrake was originally created in 2003 by the Eric Petit who made this app exclusively for the shortly lived BeOS operating system, but was shortly after ported to Windows, macOS and Linux (Ubuntu). Petit continued being active on the development of the app until 2006 when he left and enabled its community to continue working on updates (originally made under the name “MediaFork”, but later renamed back to the app).
Today, after so many years and turbulent state of development, Handbrake for macOS still represents one of the most popular video conversion programs on the market, with support for many features that make conversion process easy and intuitive. Even still, the tool remains to be 100% free and with regular updates continues to expand its capability to work with all currently popular video and audio codecs on the market.
Just a few of the reasons we think you'll love Handbrake:
Built-in Device Presets
Get started with the app in seconds by choosing a profile optimized for your device, or choose a universal profile for standard or high quality conversions. Simple, easy, fast. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve yours encodes.
Supported Input Sources
Hand brake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.264(x264), MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 (libav), and Theora(libtheora)
- Audio Encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only), MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC and MP3 tracks
Even more features
- Title / Chapter selection
- Queue up multiple encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average Bitrate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR, CFR and VFR
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling
- Live Video Preview
Note: Requires 64-bit processor.
Also Available: Download HandBrake for Windows