Mac OS X 10.9 or later
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
The source code can be compiled on many systems, including Windows, Linux, and macOS. The source code for all systems and precompiled binaries for Mac.
Maxima for Mac is a descendant of Macsyma, the legendary computer algebra system developed in the late 1960s at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is the only system based on that effort still publicly available and with an active user community, thanks to its open-source nature. Macsyma was revolutionary in its day, and many later systems, such as Maple and Mathematica, were inspired by it.
Features and Highlights
- Specialized in symbolic operations but offering numerical capabilities too.
- Can be accessed programmatically and extended, as the underlying Lisp can be called from it.
- A complete programming language with ALGOL-like syntax but Lisp-like semantics.
- Arbitrary-precision integers.
- Rational numbers of sizes limited only by machine memory.
- Arbitrarily large floating-point numbers ("bfloats").
Also Available: Download Maxima for Windows