What's new in this version:
- (Windows) Windows 10 is now supported (there should be no "Internal PortAudio Error" or failure to find any devices as long as the built-in audio devices are enabled)
- (macOS) We now support Trackpad and Magic Mouse horizontal scroll without SHIFT key and Trackpad pinch and expand to zoom at the pointer
- PortAudio upgraded to r1966 - includes Windows 10 fix
- Extensive work to eliminate memory leaks
- Pinned (fixed and centered) play/record head for playing and recording
New scrubbing features:
- Scrub Ruler
- Scrub Toolbar (off by default, enable it at View > Toolbars)
Effects and Generators:
- Effects, edits and other functionality are now not grayed-out when paused during playback or recording and thus the editing functions can be selected and performed
- New Distortion effect (replaces Leveller)
- Change Tempo and Change Pitch have new options to use the higher quality but slower SBSMS algorithm, which ensures the selection length does not change and no content is lost.
- Click Track generator updated and renamed to "Rhythm Track" with improved sounds and new "Swing amount" control for unequal beat duration.
- New Generator for Sample Data Import
New and changed shortcuts:
- ALT + RIGHT to Move to Next Label and ALT + LEFT to Move to Previous Label. These shortcuts allow the name of the label and its order in the labels in that track to be read by screen readers. As well as moving the edit position, these shortcuts jump playback to the requested label.
- The shortcut for Play/Stop and Set Cursor has changed from SHIFT + A to the more easy to use X.
New and changed menu items:
- New Edit Menu items "Store Cursor Position" and "Select > Cursor to Stored Cursor Position" (during transport, the position of the playback or recording cursor is stored)
- > Edit > "Region Save" and "Region Restore" renamed to "Store Region" and "Retrieve Region" respectively
- New Tracks Menu item "Type to Create a Label (on/off)" (turning it off prevents shortcuts accidentally creating labels in the focused label track)
New options and preferences:
- New option when exporting MP3 to mix to mono
- New recording preferences for naming of recorded tracks
New Timer Record features:
- Options on completion e.g. Save and/or Export, quit Audacity, shut down (on Windows)
- More informative dialogs, including warnings on disk space
- Protection against accidental canceling
- (Linux) On Linux only, Audacity now supports FFmpeg/libav up to avformat/avcodec 57.x.x, which is compatible with current FFmpeg 3.x.x releases
- (Mac) On Mac, audacity.app is now added to /Applications/ directly rather than adding a folder there
- Audacity is now digitally signed on Mac and Windows (but not Windows XP).
- Added Audacity Tour Guide to Manual
- Added New features in this release to Manual
- Incorrect calculation of free disk space when using 24 bit audio
- (Windows) ReaPlugs plugins froze Audacity upon interacting with the plugin
- In 2.1.2, closing an effect window using the red close button at top left rather than the button on the dialog led to a crash
- (Mac and Linux) Nyquist effects were excessively slow when a label track was present. This fix has also speeded up Nyquist effects generally compared to Audacity 2.1.2