Mac OS X
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
If you ever wanted to greatly improve usability of your QuickTime Player, then Perian for Mac is perfect solution for you! With its powerful open source support, Perian brings with itself QuickTime plugins for native support of many modern video formats, audio formats and even enables subtitle support. By installing Perian on your Mac, you will not be forced to learn how to control new video player application, which is incredibly important especially to novice computer users who want to experience larger specter of home entertainment which can be watched both on your home monitor, laptop and large HDTV in your living room.
Because Perian is a plugin for your Quick Time player, it does not have its own multimedia playback interface. However you can access its configuration screen that will control how all these additional video and audio formats can be controlled. This includes very little tweaks, mostly focused on how audio codecs will be decoded on your Mac (which format, how to play Soft Sounds), enable or disable external subtitles, easy way check for updates (which can be even automatic) and uninstall Perian with a single click of a mouse button.
With all major multimedia formats added to your QuickTime Player (such as AVI, MKV, H.264, MPEG4, WMA, DTS, True Audio, AAC, AC3 and VBR MP4), your video and audio experience on Mac will never be the same! Active development on Perian for Mac has stopped, but this app still manages to attract incredibly large audience that is taking advantage from its excellent multimedia features.
- File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
- Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture
- Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO
- AVI support for AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, VBR MP3 and more
- Subtitle support for SSA/ASS, SRT, SAMI
Note: Perian is no longer developed and support.